How to get help with mental health
15 May 2023, 16:36 | Updated: 15 May 2023, 16:39
If you're feeling stressed, anxious or depressed, or just want to feel happier, here's where to get support.
15th to 21st May 2023 is Mental Health Awareness Week
Focusing on anxiety for this year's Mental Health Awareness Week will increase people's awareness and understanding of anxiety by providing information on the things that can help prevent it from becoming a problem.
Radio X has teamed up with the Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM), to bring you a series of podcasts with advice and real stories about mental health
- Confidential support for people experiencing feelings of distress or despair.
- Phone: 116 123 (free 24-hour helpline)
- Website: www.samaritans.org
- The Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) is leading a movement against suicide. Every week 125 people in the UK take their own lives. And 75% of all UK suicides are male. CALM exists to change this.
- Phone: 0800 58 58 58 (daily, 5pm to midnight)
- Website: www.thecalmzone.net
- Are you, or is a young person you know, not coping with life? For confidential suicide prevention advice contact HOPELINEUK.
- Phone – 0800 068 4141 (9am to midnight every day)
- Text: 07860 039967
- Website: www.papyrus-uk.org
- Charity providing confidential advice and support if you have anxiety, stress or anxiety-based depression.
- Phone: 03444 775 774 (Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 5.30pm, except bank holidays)
- Website: www.anxietyuk.org.uk
Men's Health Forum
- 24/7 stress support for men by text, chat and email.
- Fast, free, independent health information.
- Website: www.menshealthforum.org.uk
- Too often, people feel afraid to admit that they are struggling with their mental health. This fear of prejudice and judgement stops people from getting help and can destroy families and end lives.
- Heads Together wants to help people feel much more comfortable with their everyday mental wellbeing and have the practical tools to support their friends and family.
- Website: www.headstogether.org.uk
- Mind provides advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem.
- They campaign to improve services, raise awareness and promote understanding.
- Website: www.mind.org.uk