On Air Now
The Kickabout with Johnny Vaughan 11am - 1pm
31 October 2018, 13:07 | Updated: 31 October 2018, 13:18
Heading off to a spooky party? Doing some trick-or-treating in your neighbourhood? Run out of time, money and inspiration? Here are some cheap ’n’ cheerful ideas for your Halloween costume.
Simon Pegg’s eponymous hero from the 2004 comedy is a surefire winner for the last minute Halloween idea. All you need is:
- White shirt, with some fake blood liberally splashed over it
- Red tie (preferably striped)
- Cricket bat
- A copy of Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits on vinyl (optional)
Pretty similar to old Shaun, you can get the full sleazy boss from Wernham Hogg effect with a simple outfit:
- White or light blue shirt
- Dark patterned tie
- Suit trousers (or full suit, if you’d rather)
- Goatee beard
Although, to make it look less like you’ve just strolled in from work, we suggest you bring along either a) a comedy ostrich outfit or b) a genuine Flat Eric puppet. If you can’t rustle those up last minute, just do “the dance”.
You could do either Jack or Meg White (or both) with the minimum of fuss:
- Red or white t-shirt
- Red trousers
- Black wig if you don’t have black hair
- The blues (optional)
Her names is actually Sadako and she fell down a well. The Japanese movie was remade in the US in 2002 and the “spooky girl” is now a bit of a cliche in the horror world. All you need is:
- A white, grubby nightdress
- A long black wig pulled over your face
- You could always create your own cardboard TV screen to crawl out of
- Blue denim jacket
- Blue denim jeans
- Red gilet
- Take the wheels off an old skateboard and pretend it’s a hoverboard
Easy! Ever since Night Of The Living Dead hit cinema screens 50 years ago, the modern zombie is just a regular person all messed up and that. Come in your regular clothes, stick a bit of fake blood around your mouth, darken the old eye sockets and rub talcum powder on your face and into your hair for that bloodless/dusty look. Adopt shambling walk and you’re ready to go.
It's topical, thanks to the Bohemian Rhapsody movie in cinemas right now. All you need is:
- Denim jeans (white or very light blue)
- White vest
- White trainers
- Stick on moustache
- Half a microphone stand if you can find one
- White vest, dirtied up.
- No shoes or socks
- Toy gun and holster if you can source one
Buy a 12-pack of value toilet roll. You know the rest.
If you have the hair, do the pigtails, unearth a black dress and wear a white shirt underneath it so the collar sticks out. Black eye make up and lipstick isn’t necessary, but can help the overall effect.