Richard Ashcroft announces homecoming shows at Wigan's Robin Park
28 November 2023, 14:54 | Updated: 1 December 2023, 15:26
The Verve legend will play two hometown shows next July. Find out how to buy tickets.
Listen to this article
Richard Ashcroft has announced two huge homecoming shows.
The Verve legend will play a pair of hometown shows at Robin Park in Wigan on Saturday 20th July and Sunday 21st July 2024.
The outdoor gig would mark the Song For The Lovers singer's first show in his hometown in 25 years, having last played the Lancashire town in 1998.
- Richard Ashcroft's Top 10 greatest solo songs
- How Richard Ashcroft's Song For The Lovers was inspired by Joy Division
- There's an "unseen" Bitter Sweet Symphony video where Richard Ashcroft gets beaten up
Ashcroft said of the announcement: "After 25 years, I’m back playing in my hometown,” Richard says. “Looking forward to an amazing night in Wigan."
The two-time Ivor Novello winner, who first came onto the music scene with The Verve, boasts five Top 5 solo albums, including the number one debut Alone With Everybody.
He's responsible for some of the most iconic hits of the British cannon, including The Drugs Don't Work, Bittersweet Symphony, Lucky Man and Sonnet.
Ashcroft's most recent album Acoustic Hymns was released in 2022 and reached number tow in the UK album chart.
Robin Park is Wigan Warriors’ new multi-million pound training facility, built in association with Wigan council. Located next to The DW Stadium, Robin Park is just a 20 minute walk from Wigan town centre, and Wigan North Western train station.
Richard Ashcroft sings Song For The Lovers (Live For Radio X)
- How "spotty" student Richard Ashcroft asked Brian Cannon to create The Verve's album artwork
- REVIEW: Richard Ashcroft brings pure joy to South Facing Festival 2022
- Richard Ashcroft's finest lyrics