FLO become first group to win BRIT Awards Rising Star 2023
9 December 2022, 13:29
The British R&B girl group have been crowned the winners of the prestigious award, which recognises emerging British talent each year.
Listen to this article
The BRIT Awards 2023 with Mastercard have today announced FLO as the winners of the prestigious BRITs Rising Star award.
The British R&B group - consisting of Renée, Jorja and Stella - have become the first ever band to take home the honour, after making it to the shortlist with Cat Burns and Nia Archives.
FLO said: “From growing up watching the BRITs, to finding each other and forming FLO, releasing our first body of work in 2022 and winning a BRIT award in the same year!! We are so shocked and grateful. We are the first group to win the BRITs Rising Star! We’ve just made history and couldn’t have done it without our wonderful fans and supportive families. It’s truly a dream come true. We feel so empowered creating the music we love and we hope others feel that too.”
FLO - Cardboard Box (Official Video)
Seven months ago, FLO released their debut single Cardboard Box, which catapulted them into the collective consciousness and won them fans such as Brandy, JoJo, SZA, Victoria Monét, Missy Elliott, and girl group royalty Kelly Rowland and Sugababes.
Cardboard Box’ has set the world alight, with a debut sound and video that sparked a cultural conversion about the future of British girl groups.
Thew vocal harmony group have gone on to perform the single on late night US TV show Jimmy Kimmel, the UK’s Later…with Jools Holland, The Glamour Women of the Year Awards, The BET Soul Train Awards, as well as being announced as Best Newcomer nominees at the MOBOs.
FLO released their debut EP The Lead at the height of summer 2022 to critical acclaim, which has now amassed over 70million global streams, and represented the personal and professional growth of three young women taking the reins, who have created a sound that hasn’t been heard in the UK music scene for decades.
Who won the BRIT Awards Rising Star in 2023?
FLO have been announced as the winners of the prestigious BRITs Rising Star award. The R&B group became the first group to win the award, after being shortlisted alongside Cat Burns and Nia Archives.
See the previous BRIT Awards Rising Star (formerly Critics’ Choice) winners below:
- 2008 Adele (Duffy, Foals)
- 2009 Florence + The Machine (Little Boots, White Lies)
- 2010 Ellie Goulding (Delphic, Marina and the Diamonds)
- 2011 Jessie J (James Blake, The Vaccines)
- 2012 Emeli Sandé (Michael Kiwanuka, Maverick Sabre)
- 2013 Tom Odell (AlunaGeorge, Laura Mvula)
- 2014 Sam Smith (Ella Eyre, Chlöe Howl)
- 2015 James Bay (George The Poet, Years & Years)
- 2016 Jack Garratt (Izzy Bizu, Frances)
- 2017 Rag ’n’ Bone Man (Anne Marie, Dua Lipa)
- 2018 Jorja Smith (Stefflon Don, Mabel)
- 2019 Sam Fender (Lewis Capaldi, Mahalia)
- 2020 Celeste (Beabadoobee, Joy Crookes)
- 2021 Griff (Pa Salieu, Rina Sawayama)
- 2022 Holly Humberstone (Bree Runway, Lola Young)
- 2023 FLO (Cat Burns, Nia Archives)