On Air Now
Radio X Chilled with James Hall 12am - 1am
3 February 2020, 14:21 | Updated: 3 February 2020, 14:35
The first Monday of February has been coined National Sickie Day. A survey has revealed which jobs have the biggest culprits when it comes to pulling a sickie.
Today is known as National Sickie Day; when people are most likely to call into work and lie about being sick.
Various factors have been cited for the timing of the day, including the fact that it's the day after the Super Bowl and the first working day after people finish Dry January.
But did you ever wonder which types of jobs the most people pull sickies from? A study has gone some way to finding out.
Right at the top of the pile was the Retail sector, with 76% of participants admitting to faking illness, while 33% admitting to faking it on more than one occasion.
Next in line were those working in Leisure, Sport & Tourism, with 68% admitting to lying about being sick, while 42% did it more than once.
Next was Recruitment and HR, with 63% admitting to pulling a sickie.
However, the Healthcare sector and Teacher training and Education were the least likely to pull sickies, with only 24% in the latter sector admitting to lying.
2. Leisure, sport and tourism
3. Recruitment and HR
4. Marketing, advertising and PR
6. Charity and voluntary work
7. Information technology
8. Media and internet
9. Law enforcement and security
10. Property and construction
11. Hospitality and events management
12. Energy and utilities
13. Business, consulting and management
14. Creative arts and design
15. Public services and administrations
16. Accountancy, banking and finance
17. Environment and agriculture
19. Engineering and manufacturing
20. Science and pharmaceuticals
21. Transport and logistics
22. Social care
24. Teacher training and education
When it came to the reasons why people needed a day off, needing a mental health day came out on top, with food poisoning being the most popular excuse they used.
1. Needed a mental health day (20%)
2. Hungover (18.57%)
3. Couldn’t be bothered (15.71%)
4. Too tired (15%)
5. Busy/have other plans (14.29%)
1. Food Poisoning (26.76%)
2. Vomiting (18.31%)
3. Flu (12.68%)]
4. Migraine (9.86%)
5. Diarrhoea (7.04%)