Sadio Mane: Liverpool star burgled for second time while on Champions League duty
21 February 2019, 13:56 | Updated: 21 February 2019, 15:10
Liverpool star Sadio Mane has been burgled for the second time whilst playing for the Reds at Anfield.
The attacker's home in Allerton, south Liverpool, was broken into while he playing in Tuesday night's Champions League last 16 first leg tie against Bayern Munich.
Thieves forced entry into the property, which police said was empty, sometime between 6pm and 11.45pm and stole a number of items including watches, mobile phones and car keys.
Police, who have begun forensic examinations and opened an investigation, are appealing for the public's help in solving the crime.
Detective Inspector Phil Mahon of Merseyside Police called it a "distressing" experience for those living there.
"I would ask the offenders to do the right thing and return the stolen items to the owner in any way possible," he said.
"We know the watches in particular are of significant monetary value and I would also like to appeal to anyone who might have been offered the items for sale since the burglary to contact police."
The match finished 0-0, with the second leg in Germany in three weeks' time.
It is not the first time Mane, 26, has been burgled while on playing duty.
His home was previously broken into in November 2017 while he was at Anfield for another Champions League game against Maribor.
A gang was thought to have entered his home first before smashing a patio door at the nearby address of team-mate Dejan Lovren.
The would-be burglars fled when a woman shouted she was calling the police.
Anyone who has any information should contact @MerPolCC, 101 quoting ref 19100062098 or @CrimestoppersUK.