Coronavirus: Glastonbury return planned for June 2021 (but you can't buy a ticket)

30 August 2020, 10:01 | Updated: 30 August 2020, 17:49

There are 'no plans' to move Glastonbury from its traditional weekend in June next year, organisers say.

Founder Michael Eavis has previously said it was "wishful thinking" it could happen then, and that the only "certainty" for the iconic music festival was 2022, because of COVID-19 restrictions.

The event was cancelled this year because of the virus.

But on Sunday, his daughter and co-organiser, Emily Eavis, said she is expecting it to take place next summer and not be pushed back to the autumn.

In a Tweet, she wrote: "For those who have been asking, we have no plans to move next year's Glastonbury to September 2021 - we're still very much aiming for June."

However, next year's event at Worthy Farm in Somerset is already sold out, with organisers honouring tickets bought for this year.

Ms Eavis continued: "Also, we've moved our ticket resale back from October to April, because so few people have asked for a refund, meaning we don't have enough tickets to resell.

"Plus, we've extended the free cancellation deadline until the end of January."

No announcement has been made about who might be playing next year's festival.

Headliners Sir Paul McCartney, Taylor Swift and Kendrick Lamar, plus hundreds of other acts, were due to play at this year's 50th anniversary celebrations in June before the festival was called off due to COVID-19.