The most anticipated new albums of 2022
7 April 2022, 19:58 | Updated: 3 May 2022, 18:01
Radio X looks at the artists that will be coming back with new material in the next twelve months... Red Hot Chili Peppers, Muse, Florence + The Machine and more...
The stop-start nature of 2021 has meant a return of sorts for live music, but the world's artists and bands have still been busy in the old recording studio.
The year saw a number of great albums released, and next year looks even better. The release schedule is already filling up with new material from Blossoms, Liam Gallagher, Muse and Florence + The Machine. There's also the tantalising prospect of the return of Arctic Monkeys to look forward to...
Here's what's definitely on the album release schedule for 2022 - and who we think could be dropping an album at some point in the next twelve months...
Blossoms - Ribbon Around The Bomb
- Released 29th April 2022
- The fourth studio album from the Stockport band
- It's the follow-up to 2020's No 1 album, Foolish Loving Spaces
- Listen to the single Care For here:
Bloc Party - Alpha Games
- Released 29th April 2022
- The sixth studio album from the British band fronted by Kele Okereke
- It's the first new release since Hymns from 2016
- A full UK tour kicks off in Birmingham on 26th May
- Listen to the new track Traps here:
Arcade Fire - WE
- WE is the sixth album to be released by the eclectic Canadian collective.
- It's their first album since 2017's Everything Now and is released on 5th May 2022.
- Long term member Will Butler left the band shortly after the album was completed.
Florence + The Machine - Dance Fever
- The fifth studio album from Florence Welch and co arrives on 13th May 2022.
- The first tracks to be released from the album are King and My Love.
- Welch describes the new record as "a fairytale in 14 songs".
The Black Keys - Dropout Boogie
- Dan Auerbach and Patrick Carney's eleventh studio album will be released on 13th May 2022.
- The lead single is Wild Child, which was made Radio X Record Of The Week on 21st March.
- The new album features ZZ Top guitarist Billy Gibbons.
- The duo will head out on tour in North America in July.
Liam Gallagher - C'mon You Know
- Released 27th May 2022
- Liam's third solo album follows rapidly on the heels of As You Were (2017) and Why Me? Why Not (2019)
- The former Oasis man tweeted at the beginning of October that the album had been completed and was being "sent off" to be mixed by Mark "Spike" Stent
- June 2022 will see Gallagher headline three huge dates at Knebworth Park
Foals - Life Is Yours
- The Oxford band's seventh album is released on 17th June 2022.
- It's the follow-up to 2019's Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost Pt 1 & 2 and the first to feature the band as a trio after the departure of keyboardist Edwin Congreave.
- Yannis Phillipakis said of the new material: "We just wanted to... selfishly for ourselves... write music that would cheer us up. So that we could transport ourselves to an imagined future where us and our mates would be back on the dance floor, and people would be having house parties and you could go to the pub, and all of the stuff that we were missing."
- Singles include 2am and Wake Me Up.
Weezer - SZNZ
- The US nerd-rockers are aiming to issue four mini-albums this year - one for each season.
- Weezer - SZNZ: Spring was issued on 20th March and included the hit A Little Bit Of Love.
- Weezer - SZNZ: Summer is released on 21st June 2022.
- Weezer - SZNZ: Autumn is due on 22nd September 2022.
- Weezer - SZNZ: Winter is to be released on 21st December 2022.
Beabadoobee - Beatopia
- The second album from Beatrice Laus is due on 15th July 2022, via Dirty Hit.
- It's the follow-up to the 2020 debut Fake It Flowers.
- The first single from Beatopia is Talk.
Muse - Will Of The People
- The trio will release their ninth studio album on 26th August.
- Two singles have already been released: Won't Stand Down and Compliance.
- Matt Bellamy says of the new album: " “Will Of The People is influenced by the increasing uncertainty and instability in the world. This album is a personal navigation through those fears and preparation for what comes next.”
Arctic Monkeys - TBC
Alex Turner and co have announced a slew of festival dates for 2022, including headline slots at Reading + Leeds festivals in August. So it's highly likely that the band will use the opportunity to unveil the new material they've been working on for the past couple of years. More news on the album as we get it.
The Cure - TBC
Robert Smith and his crew haven't issued a new album since 2008's 4:13 Dream, but the follow-up has been in the pipeline for a while now. With a working title of Live From The Moon, Smith is so sure of a release for the new record that he's booked a European tour for October through to December 2022.